Thursday, May 26, 2011

Video Game Review - Shining Force II (1994 - Sega Genesis)


This is the one.

This is the one game that really got me to play an RPG. it reached me because of its ability to involve me in the worlds of the game. The storyline kicked ass as well as did the controls. The most important factor to playing this game and enjoying it had to be the easiest: the fact that no one else rented it at Blockbuster!

Back in the days when most Negroes wouldn't be caught dead with an RPG (for fear of being called [a] a nerd or, God forbid, [b] white) , I could always expect certain games to be checked out. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II: Championship Edition and X-Men were among that number and they never seemed to be in. Later I found out that broke-ass Negroes stole the games, yet the staff at my local Blockbuster would keep the box on the shelf. Doesn't make much sense, but what sense it does make outweighs the nonsense. In lieu of being up on the games that everyone would talk about in school later, I'd settle for some of the games that were always there.

Shining Force II was one of those games.

When I started playing, I had no real trouble getting into the game. I quickly adapted to the fact that I was stuck in a forest with an old hag who'd never let me escape unless she finished telling her story…
Said story is about a boy named Sue--or whatever you named him--and his school chums Chester the centaur, Sarah the elf and the mighty dwarven boy Jaha. Sent to assist your school teacher Sir Astral, you're pitted against the forces of the Demon World who wish to resurrect the King of Devils, Zeon. In their attempts, they've turned neighboring kingdoms against each other, possessed our king and run off with the princess Eliza (SAVE THE PRINCESS!) Further investigation reveals that such happenings didn't occur out of the blue; they were the work of the master thief Slade who stole the jewels of Good and Evil, the latter of which has bonded to the main character's neck. As more plot points develop, the amount of people who can join your crew becomes diverse and numerous. To illustrate this point, we'll compare four characters from the roster: Kazin, Peter, Claude and Zynk.

Kazin is the fourth member you recruit in your quest to save the world (man, I love saying that) after you've defeated the soldiers who have trashed his home and mortally wounded his mentor, Master Hawel. He's a versatile mage who can take care of business with his BLAZE spell. The BLAZE spell doesn't compare to the power of Volcanon (the creator of the game's world) or his assistant, Peter.
Peter joins the Shining Force crew to assist our hero with sonic screams and tornadoes from his rainbow-feathered wings. His special ability in the game is that he never needs to be resurrected by a priest--he IS a phoenix after all. While we're on the subject of mythical creatures, we must not forget golems, like party member Claude.
Saving Claude the golem from the nether dimension gets him on your party and he is the ultimate tanker. While not the same as a traditional golem, Zynk the metal golem is from the future. He has stretching arms and a laser cannon in his chest. This may be a fantasy world, but nothing has stopped time travelers from entering and helping out the good guys.

The controls are very simple and allow you to save without having to consult a priest (the save points in the game). This is an option offered during a battle scenario, and well-placed. Time and time again, I'll play this game from beginning to end to see if I can get all 30 characters and if I can stand playing against the final boss ONE MORE TIME. Why is the final boss someone to play again and again? Why, because it just defies all logic to fight this man while standing on his BREATH. That and the copious amounts of secrets. All in a day's work for those bent on saving the world.

Eventually, I had to give this cherished game of mine to someone I really liked.  I met her, we let each other know how we felt about each other, and I gave her my copy of Shining Force II to really let her know.  That may sound geeky, but she was a big fan of the game and she understood.  That's how much Shining Force II meant and still means to me everyday.  It has given me more memories and enjoyment that I can put in this post.

RATING: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment