Monday, May 23, 2011

Video Game Review - Rocket Knight Adventures (1993 - Sega Genesis)


I just happened to pick up this game at my local Blockbuster Video, during one of my many excursions to see if Mortal Kombat was in. Knowing full well that my mom would never let me go anywhere unless my
brother was with me, that he'd only want to rent Mortal Kombat and that Mortal  Kombat was never there because of thieving Negroes, I went and picked up that game. My bro's all like, "it's a kiddie game! Why're you picking it up? I'm not playing it." That's cool, man. You don't have to experience the queer little world of Rocket Knight Adventures.
In the role of Sparkster the possum Rocket Knight, you fight the pig-headed minions of the forces of evil to  SAVE THE PRINCESS with nothing more than your sword, your jetpack and sometimes your possum tail. There are many strange locales and events (the deep reaches of space and a Rock 'Em-Sock 'Em Robots-style mech duel stand out in my mind) that Sparkster will have to traverse in order  to SAVE THE PRINCESS from the clutches of evil. While simplistic in its story, the game more than makes up for it in its events.
Case in point: in the second level, you have just escaped the first and you land on an island in the middle of a pristine lake surrounded by verdant foothills and faded mountains. There's no music at all, just you and the reflective algorithim of the lake. Then you jump off to the right...and the jetpack explodes into a burst of speed, catapulting you across the lake at an amazing speed. You're speeding so fast and the magic of the music swallows you as you fly across the lake, fighting the bats in your way--with no way in hell to stop! That scenario alone captured my imagination like no other for many months, with the game MIDI swelling its electric orchestra as I skimmed the water to dive under and over the bats to continue my fight against the forces of evil to SAVE THE PRINCESS.
The game is awesome and if you can find it, take the time to beat this game. Expansive as it is for an action game, you'll need to keep on your toes to play on a static number of continues. Hell, every time you think you're done, you're not! It's a game like that which deserves a second look, provided they don't overdo it. Rocket Knight Adventures does not overdo it

RATING: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment