Friday, June 10, 2011

Video Game Review - Comix Zone (1995 - Sega Genesis)


This game would've escaped my view had I not been into comic books like I was when I was younger. I understood that Spider-Man was out of my grasp as far as story (boring) and vendor availability (non-existant). Hell, Spider-Man was as inaccessible to me as a peak-era Spawn issue or any issue of Battle Chasers. Yet my focus was not as a comic collector; it was as an artist. That's why someone presented me with Comix Zone for either my birthday or Christmas (can't remember which) and expected I would like it. If that person is reading this webpage, thank you. Thank you so very much.

Comix Zone was a great game to sit and play, because it took a character that most young boys wanna be and put him into the place of the protagonist. Sketch Turner, freelance comic artist, has created a villain canned Mortus and hopes that his comic will be a great success.
He confides these wishes to his pet rat Roadkill as a thunderstorm rages nearby. Lightning strikes the room and magically turns Mortus into a physical being with all the powers he has in the comic. First thing Mortus does is put Sketch and Roadkill into the comic. Now our hero has to fighure a way out of his own crazy comic book world. To his credit, he has created a secret organization that'll help him in the comic book. Their top operative is Alicia Cyan and she gives hints to Sketch as he fights his way from page to page in his comic. His ultimate goal is to get to the end of the comic and possibly defeat Mortus by doing so. Many obstacles wait in his way, so he'd better get ready to defeat them all.

The moves available to Sketch are very cool. He can do a bunch of kung-fu stuff and transform into a superhero when necessary. The enemies can be a pain in the ass, but in a good-natured way. All the music is great, without any cheesy rinky-dink music to make you think of light-hearted stuff. The whole damn game is a manly affair. And I like that need to make it manly; with that goal firmly in place, the game kicks serious butt.
As an added bonus, there was a black-and-white comic book inside the game packaging, which was great. Comix Zone also came along with a CD called "American Underground". This CD was actually my FIRST CD EVER (pathetic, I know) and it had music from Danzig, The Lords of the Underground and Lords of Acid. I still own the CD...and it still sucks, but in an early 90's way of sucking that'd make you smile.

RATING: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment